Sunday, March 10, 2013

Iditarod Video and Moose Jerky

Here are the highlights from our trip to Anchorage last weekend:


Leaving St. Mary's for Alakanuk on a C-207.

I'm sitting in the very back row.  This was my second time riding on a C-207 and I was still scared to death!

Mountains in Anchorage.

We got another snow storm when we came back home.  This time it was unusually warm, 34 degrees, so the snow was sticky (normally dry and powdery).

So we did some landscaping on our porch.




I gave another try at making moose jerky.  I think it will turn out better this time, with some advice from my mom's friend.

 1. Thaw out ground meat.  Here is 2 lbs. in the bowl. (This is the moose our friend got and we helped cut and ground all weekend a few weeks ago.)
 2. Mix in cure & seasonings according to directions on the package.
 3. Fill the jerky gun.  This holds 1 lb. at a time.
 4. Squirt out strips 1/4 in. thick and spread apart.


5. Cook for 8 hrs. in dehydrator at 160 degrees.  Rotate trays about every 2 hrs. and flip jerky half way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment