Saturday, February 2, 2013

Frozen Eyeballs

We went on another trip to Emmonak this week... read more to see how this happened:

Thursday after school we made another trip 8 miles up the Yukon River to Emmo.  The path is easy to follow because there are so many snow machine tracks, and there are "markers" set up along the way (giant sticks about 5 feet tall, tied together like a teepee).
 

The AC Store parking lot was packed.


Nathaniel standing outside the AC (Alaska Commercial) Store in the mild 20 degree weather.


Getting potatoes for another stew.

Slushie machines!

The new part of the store recently opened.  Now selling sleds, snow machines, and four wheelers.

Ooh Aah, new furniture show room.

Jana and Sammy doing some grocery shopping.

"Pop prices are ridiculous, until you find the right one.  Then, price doesn't matter." -Jana

Our little shopping cart full of junk food.  I roamed around the clothing racks, just looking at things I don't need.  Living up here has kicked my "I need that!" habit... except for junk food.


The store is getting ready for Valentines Day!


Sammy checking out and boxing up her groceries.



On the way back, we drove through some light precipitation.  As a result, it created a thin film of ice on our goggles.  I was fine because I could rub the ice off every 10 seconds with my mittens.  The fur on my hat collected a lot of precipitation and froze.  

Here you can see where I had to scrape the ice from my goggles.

Since Nathaniel was driving, he couldn't scrape his goggles clear, so he rode back bare-faced.

Sammy was all frosty too.

Our snow machine cover and locking gas cap finally arrived.


In the classroom, my students wrote some pretty great 5-paragraph autobiographies and typed up their final drafts.

We have been loving these temperatures, and wouldn't ya know it?  We got more snow this week!

Beautiful frosted trees, right outside our kitchen window.

Walking over to the teacher housing, enjoying the peaceful sunrise.

Clean snow is so refreshing.

Walking to the post office, trying not to fall into the deep snow drifts.  We had to guess where the boardwalks were.  Culea crawled this path on her knees, it seemed to work.

I almost made it, but right before the road I sank straight down to my thighs.  You can't crawl out because you'll get yourself stuck even deeper.  The girls lent me a hand.

The red health clinic truck back in September:

The red health clinic truck in February:

Culea is really good at making snow angels.


Noon sky.







1 comment:

  1. I thought you kept fist pumping... Then I was worried that you were afraid to fall off... Finally I realized you were probably clearing your goggles. :) I love your posts.

    ReplyDelete