Sunday, October 7, 2012

Flying over Alakanuk

Last weekend we flew out from the new airport and got to see an aerial view of the whole village.  Here is a 5 minute clip:



Since the start of wrestling, the kids want to "take-down" Nathaniel.  Here are the 2nd graders giving it a try.

 Every wrestler got a new pair of shoes and head gear.

Trying on the new gear.


On Fridays the women at school wear "guspuks" the traditional shirt in Yu'pik culture.  A woman at school made one for me (without taking measurements) and it fit perfect.  The front of the guspuk has a large pocket (like a hoodie).  Every guspuk has a hood and are made from cotton fabric.  They can be personalized with any color, fabric print, and trim design.  Some have a ruffle skirt.
 

Here's another cooking segment.  Easy Chicken Pot Pie.  Each pie yields 4 servings.

Cube 4 thawed chicken breasts. (I had 7 chicken breasts because I made 2 pies)

In a large skillet, cook chicken on medium heat (I dropped in one spoonful of Crisco before adding chicken).  Sprinkle all/or any combination of seasonings: sea salt, pepper, minced onion, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. 

In a large bowl, add one cup thawed mixed veggies (I used canned).
Then, add one can of cream of chicken.  Mix together. 

When chicken is done add to bowl with veggies and cream of chicken.  Mix together.  Then, line pan with the mixture (I made 2 pies). 

In a separate bowl, mix 1 c. Bisquick, 1/2 c. milk, and 1 egg.  Then, pour mixture over filling.  You may need to spread it evenly with a spoon.  Next, sprinkle all/any combination of spices on top: sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. 

Bake at 400 for 30-45 minutes, or until golden brown.

This weekend I got a chance to make a hat with my Loom Kit.  It took about 3-4 hours.
















Layering up for the bonfire.

Down by the Yukon River (the docks) for the bonfire.  Shooting things for fun.

I'm not much of a gun handler, so I finished knitting my hat on a log.  Nathaniel is in the background being a lumberjack.

Cutting up some driftwood for the fire.

Hat finished.
 

Hotdogs and Smores! 




 




 How to roast a hotdog and toast a bun at the same time.


Trying Smores with peanut butter.  It's pretty good.

Burnt marshmallow.

 I found a wishbone stick and used it to toast my smore.

Everything is turning yellow.

1 comment:

  1. I love making Chicken Pot Pie! Next time you make smores use Nutella (if you dont have any FB me your address and I will mail you some) instead of chocolate. It is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete